Why we like this card: The Navy Federal More Rewards American Express Credit Card is a $0 annual fee card offering a generous rewards rate on everyday spending categories. Plus, cardholders can score a decent welcome bonus.
- No annual or foreign transaction fee
- Solid rewards rate on everyday spending categories
- Low APR on purchases
- Must be a Navy Federal Credit Union member to qualify
- No 0% intro APR on purchases or balance transfers
Navy Federal More Rewards American Express Credit Card: Overview
- Intro APR: None
- Purchase: 14.90%–18.00% variable
- Balance transfer: 14.90%–18.00% variable
- Cash advance: 2% above your variable APR. There’s no transaction fee if you receive a cash advance at a Navy Federal branch or ATM. Otherwise, the fee is $0.50 per domestic transaction or $1.00 per foreign transaction.
- Penalty: 18.00%, plus a fee of up to $20 for late or returned payments
Annual fee: $0
Foreign transaction fee: None
While you’ll need to be a credit union member to sign up for the Navy Federal More Rewards Amex Card, there are few other requirements for card membership. The card doesn’t charge annual or foreign transaction fees and is available to cardholders with average credit.
Cardholders can also use the Navy Federal More Rewards card to earn points on their essential expenses—like gas and transit—so it’s a practical, affordable card option. If you do incur a balance on the card, you won’t have to worry about paying sky-high interest rates either, the purchase APR is 14.90%–18.00% variable.
Navy Federal More Rewards American Express Credit Card: Rewards
With the Navy Federal More Rewards Amex Card, you don’t have to keep track of rotating rewards categories. You’ll earn a fixed rewards rate on spending in select categories.
- 3X points at restaurants and on food delivery
- 3X points at supermarkets
- 3X points on gas and transit
- 1X points on everything else
Does Navy Federal More Rewards American Express Credit Card offer a new customer bonus?
You can earn 20,000 bonus points, worth $200 when you spend $1,500 within 90 days of account opening
How to redeem Navy Federal More Rewards American Express Credit Card points
Purchase travel, gift cards, and merchandise
You can redeem points through the mobile app, using your points to pay for merchandise, hotel stays, car rentals, cruises, flights, gift cards, and more.
Earn cash back and cover past transactions
You can redeem points for cashback by getting them credited to your savings account, receiving a statement credit, or using your points to pay for transactions already posted to your account within the past 90 days. With the Pay with Points method, you can cover up to three transactions that total a minimum of $50.
- Statement credit for Walmart+. Receive a one-time $49 statement credit when you buy an annual Walmart+ membership. Note that the cost of an annual Walmart+ membership is $98, so this statement credit covers only 50% of the membership cost.
- Car rental loss and damage insurance. When you rent a car and charge the cost to your credit card, you could be eligible for insurance coverage if there’s damage or loss to the car.
- Up to 25% off car rentals. Get discounts at major car rental companies worldwide.
- Free credit score access. See your FICO score by using the Navy Federal Credit Union app.
- Roadside assistance. If your vehicle breaks down or an accident occurs, you can get roadside assistance like towing and emergency roadside repairs.
- Access to travel discounts, entertainment deals, and shopping benefits. Cardholders get Amex-exclusive perks like Amex offers, a site that offers cash back on select purchases and an Amex travel service for booking hotels and more.
Is the Navy Federal More Rewards American Express Credit Card right for you?
This card is best for cardholders who want a $0 annual fee card with a reasonable rewards rate and welcome bonus. This card is a good fit for cardholders who want flexibility when it comes to redeeming their rewards: You can get a statement credit, buy flights, or more.
The major drawback of this card is that you must be a Navy Federal Credit Union member to be eligible. To qualify for a membership, you must be a current or retired armed forces servicemember or immediate family member of one. Department of Defense Personnel are also eligible.
Credit cards similar to Navy Federal More Rewards American Express Credit Card
If you don’t qualify for a Navy Federal Credit Union membership, fret not. There are cards, like the Wells Fargo Autograph Card, that offer similar rewards and welcome bonuses without a credit union membership requirement.
Wells Fargo Autograph℠ Card vs. Navy Federal More Rewards American Express Credit Card
Like the Navy Federal More Rewards, Autograph cardholders don’t pay annual or foreign transaction fees and earn rewards on essential expenses. With the Autograph card, you can earn 3X points on restaurants, travel, gas stations, transit, popular streaming services, and phone plans. Plus, 1X points on all other eligible purchases.
This card is also a better option for cardholders who plan to splurge on big-ticket items and want a few months to pay it off interest-free. Autograph cardholders get a 0% intro APR period on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening. After that, the variable APR will be 20.24%, 25.24%, or 29.99% based on your creditworthiness.
Frequently asked questions
Is Navy Federal More Rewards American Express card worth it?
The Navy Federal More Rewards American Express is $0 annual fee card that could be worth signing up for if you spend a lot of money on gas, transit, restaurants, and supermarkets, as the card offers a high rewards rate in those spending categories.
What credit score do you need for Navy Federal More Rewards American Express card?
You’ll need an average credit score or better to qualify for the card. This means you should aim for a FICO score of 630 or better to be eligible.
Can you get an Amex through Navy Federal?
Yes, some cards issued by Navy Federal Credit Union are Amex cards.
Please note that card details are accurate as of the publish date, but are subject to change at any time at the discretion of the issuer. Please contact the card issuer to verify rates, fees, and benefits before applying.
Fortune Recommends™ credit ranges are a variation of FICO® Score 8, one of many types of credit scores lenders may use when considering your credit card application.